In Association with The Stage
Applications for the Alan Bates Award 2017 are CLOSED
Georgia Frost from Bristol Old Vic Theatre School became 2017's winner of the Alan Bates Award in an award ceremony at the Actors Centre, kindly sponsored by Nick Hern Books, on 4th May 2017. A massive congratualtions to Georgia and all our six brilliant finalists. Stay tuned for more Alan Bates Award news coming soon.
Sir Alan Bates was the Patron of the Actors Centre from 1994 until his death in 2004. He cared passionately about the craft of acting and about the cause of young actors entering the profession. The Alan Bates Award was endowed to commemorate his inspirational work on behalf of the Actors Centre and will be awarded annually to an actor of exceptional talent.
The Alan Bates Award comprises of a generous prize bundle designed to equip the winning graduate with everything they will need to launch themselves as a professional working actor. Along with the Actors Centre’s vast range of professional development workshops and courses the winner will receive headshots, showreel and voice-reel, a professionally built website, subscriptions with the biggest industry organisations in in the land, styling, mentorship and many more industry essentials. As an Actors Centre member, they will also be joining a community of professional actors with whom they can network and collaborate.
This year the Actors Centre launches its brand new 4-stage application and audition process culminating in an audition and interview in the final round in front of a panel of judges who are industry practitioners in their own right. Previous judges have included Richard E. Grant, Lesley Sharp, Lindsay Duncan, Henry Goodman, Richard Wilson, Alex Jennings, Frances de la Tour, Frances Barber, Neil LaBute and Janet Suzman.
We also have some new collaborators this year. Casting Networks International have come on board to support the Alan Bates Award digitally, and the Alan Bates Award will now form part of The Stage Debut Awards and The Stage Supports.
THE ALAN BATES AWARD IS GENEROUSLY SUPPORTED BY LEADING BRANDS AND INDUSTRY ORGANISATIONS – SEE THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE FOR LINKS TO THIS YEAR’S SUPPORTERS.
The Alan Bates Award 2017 is open to all acting students graduating in 2017 from Acting Courses on the Actors Centre approved course list* click here for list.
The Award prize bundle is worth over £5000** and includes:
- Membership of the Actors Centre for one year
- £1000 worth of Actors Centre credit
- Equity subscription for one year
- The Stage subscription for one year
- 3 Years subscription to Casting Networks, plus 12 months invites to Casting Networks events.
- A guaranteed role in the first Read Not Dead “performance with script” as part of the Shakespeare’s Globe (Globe Education) summer season
- A Ted Baker VIP shopping spree at one of Ted’s full price standalone stores with a 1-2-1 appointment with the very best of Ted’s team who will advise on dressing you Ted-To-Toe. Ted will then whisk you off for a pamper at either Ted’s Grooming Room or Ted’s Beauty Spot
- 12 Month’s theatre going courtesy of See Tickets
- 1 year's free accountancy from Haggards Crowther
- Spotlight subscription for one year
- Automatic entry to a heat stage MonologueSlam UK showcase courtesy of Triforce Creative Networks
- Edited Showreel courtesy of Actorshowreels.co.uk
- Voicereel courtesy of Silver Tongued Productions
- Headshot session by Simon Annand
- Reproduction services for headshots with Visualeyes
- Website consultation, design and 12 months hosting courtesy of Site Your Art
- Books from Methuen Drama, Nick Hern Books, Oberon Books, and Samuel French
- Free downloads of The Real Accent App (UK, Celtic and USA versions), plus a two hour accent coaching session (working alongside the App) with international Voice and Dialect coach Catherine Weate courtesy of Howard Weate
- Expert mentoring (for all 6 finalists) and networking opportunities in the first steps of an acting career
- Other prizes may be added at a later date – keep checking the website.
**No cash alternative is offered for any prizes.
*Only open to applicants on courses from the Actors Centre Approved Course List. Courses NOT on the approved list are not eligible. The Actors Centre reserves the right at all times to ask for further verification or refuse entry should occasion arise.
NOTE: You must be eligible to live and work in the UK for at least a year after graduation to take advantage of this Award.
Applications for the Alan Bates Award 2017 are now CLOSED. Congratulations to our winner Georgia Frost.
QUOTES FROM PREVIOUS AWARD WINNERS:
'It means everything to have opportunities like this. This Award allows me to have guidance and a mentor and to financially be able to carry on as a proactive actor which wouldn’t have been possible without the Award. It’s fantastic.' – Shauna McLean, winner 2016
'I feel very privileged, honoured and absolutely elated. I am so thankful to the Actors Centre, and the best thing about winning this year’s Alan Bates Award is I can keep coming back to work with the amazing actors and people.' – Luke Dale, winner 2015
'Taking part in the Alan Bates Award competition was fantastic. The prizes that accompany the award are incredibly valuable and are allowing me to build my skills and my professional profile in a way I would otherwise not have been able to afford. Additionally, the support I have received from the Actors Centre has helped immensely during my first year in a 'business' I've realised I actually knew very little about! Not to mention the confidence it has given me, and the joy I feel every time I think back to the moment when I was named the winner.' - Adam Buchanan winner 2013
'It is an amazing opportunity and wonderful prize; it enables an actor to pursue their dreams and passions in the harsh wilderness of the industry. Not only have I reaped the benefits of what the award offers on paper, I also have priceless tutoring, new friends, and a title that associates me with a great thing.' – Elliot Barnes-Worrell, winner 2012
'Winning the Alan Bates Award was a wonderful way to start my professional career. The Award is a real jump-start to settling myself as an actor and the incredible honour has given me such confidence for entering the profession. I feel ecstatic with the amount of help and support I’m receiving at the beginning of my career. The Actors Centre has provided me with a framework of support and advice which was much needed after leaving drama school.' - Christine Clare, winner 2009
'Winning the Alan Bates Award is a huge honour and a real confidence boost to take into my first year in the industry. The financial assistance it provides means I am able to develop my portfolio of skills and resources in the coming year in a way I would never have been able to afford otherwise. In short – it’s a little godsend!" - Luke Norris, winner 2008
Alan Bates Award Supporters