In Association with The Stage
Applications for the Alan Bates Award 2018 are CLOSED
Now in it’s fourteenth year, The Alan Bates Award has established itself as the most prestigious awards for graduating actors. Every year, one winner will be the recipient of a prize package worth over £5000* comprising of everything they need to launch their career after drama school.
There are four rounds to the Alan Bates Award, each judged by a panel of established industry professionals. Previous judges have included Catherine Willis, Hannah Miller, Julia Crampsie, Matt Weston, Amanda Howard, Deborah Willey, Alex Jennings, and Janet Suzeman.
The award is named for Sir Alan Bates, patron of the Actors Centre from 1994 until his death in 2004. Sir Bates was passionate about acting and supporting young talent entering the profession. It is in his memory and in honor of his inspirational work that the Alan Bates Award is presented annual to an actor of exceptional talent.
* Prizes cannot be exchanged for cash equivalent
This year The Alan Bates Award extends, with no less than thirteen applicants being offered free showcase space. To be considered for this additional stand, please 'opt in' on the application when asked.
THE ALAN BATES AWARD IS GENEROUSLY SUPPORTED BY LEADING BRANDS AND INDUSTRY ORGANISATIONS – SEE THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE FOR LINKS TO THIS YEAR’S SUPPORTERS.
The Alan Bates Award 2018 is open to all acting students graduating in 2018 from a drama school who has the ability to work in the UK for twelve months following graduation.
The Award prize bundle is worth over £5000** and includes:
- Membership of the Actors Centre for one year
- £1000 worth of Actors Centre credit
- Equity subscription for one year
- The Stage subscription for one year
- 3 Years subscription to Casting Networks, plus 12 months invites to Casting Networks events.
- A day's paid work on a Big Finish audio production
- A guaranteed role in the first Read Not Dead “performance with script” as part of the Shakespeare’s Globe (Globe Education) summer season
- A Ted Baker VIP shopping spree at one of Ted’s full price standalone stores with a 1-2-1 appointment with the very best of Ted’s team who will advise on dressing you Ted-To-Toe. Ted will then whisk you off for a pamper at either Ted’s Grooming Room or Ted’s Beauty Spot
- 12 Month’s theatre going courtesy of See Tickets
- 1 year's free accountancy from Haggards Crowther
- Spotlight subscription for one year
- Automatic entry to a heat stage MonologueSlam UK showcase courtesy of Triforce Creative Networks
- Edited Showreel courtesy of Actorshowreels.co.uk
- Voicereel courtesy of Silver Tongued Productions
- Headshot session by Simon Annand
- Reproduction services for headshots with Visualeyes
- Website consultation, design and 12 months hosting courtesy of Site Your Art
- Books from Methuen Drama, Nick Hern Books, Oberon Books, and Samuel French
- Free downloads of The Real Accent App (UK, Celtic and USA versions), plus a two hour accent coaching session (working alongside the App) with international Voice and Dialect coach Catherine Weate courtesy of Howard Weate
- Expert mentoring (for all 6 finalists) and networking opportunities in the first steps of an acting career
- Other prizes may be added at a later date – keep checking the website.
**No cash alternative is offered for any prizes.
NOTE: You must be eligible to live and work in the UK for at least a year after graduation to take advantage of this Award.
Applications for the Alan Bates Award 2018 are now OPEN. Congratulations to our previous winner Georgia Frost.
QUOTES FROM PREVIOUS AWARD WINNERS:
'Taking part in the Alan Bates Award competition was fantastic. The prizes that accompany the award are incredibly valuable and are allowing me to build my skills and my professional profile in a way I would otherwise not have been able to afford. Additionally, the support I have received from the Actors Centre has helped immensely during my first year in a 'business' I've realised I actually knew very little about! Not to mention the confidence it has given me, and the joy I feel every time I think back to the moment when I was named the winner.' - Adam Buchanan winner 2013
'It is an amazing opportunity and wonderful prize; it enables an actor to pursue their dreams and passions in the harsh wilderness of the industry. Not only have I reaped the benefits of what the award offers on paper, I also have priceless tutoring, new friends, and a title that associates me with a great thing.' – Elliot Barnes-Worrell, winner 2012
Alan Bates Award Supporters